Saying Goodbye to Jon's Roaring 20's

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My husband Jon turned 30 in December. Actually he turned 30 on the day the world was supposed to end and his name means "The Chosen One" so we all thought he was The Apocalypse in human form.

Since I wanted to throw him a fun party with friends before we were all doomed to die, I threw him a surprise party the weekend before.

Jon was in NY for business with his buddy Glenn, the plan was to have him arrive at 7pm (which turned into 8:30pm due to traffic) and all of his close friends would surprise him! Duh, Melissa.

The theme was "Saying Goodbye to Jon's Roaring Twenties" and it was a BLAST.

Everyone who came to party had to dress up as either a flapper, a gangster or a something from that era. We are huge Boardwalk Empire fans and Jon said he wanted a 1920's party one day with just close friends. So his wish was my command!

Obviously had these for when he walked in!

We ran out of helium, hence the crazy balloon garland!


The drinks shown here are Jack Daniels (for on the rocks), Mint julep in the Mason Jar Dispenser and red wine in the paper bags.

This was a Champagne punch and I ordered the champagne fountain through Amazon!


Appetizers!





I splurged on Photo Booth props but they were hilarious and worth it!









The handsome birthday boy!










And it is tradition to smash cake in Glenn's face. Poor thing.




Overall, the party was such a blast. Jon had no clue AT ALL thanks to our buddy Glenn making sure he didn't find anything out!

The appetizers fit the time period. There were mozzarella, tomato and basil skewers with balsamic drizzled on top, fruit salad with mint, crackers and a cheese spread, english cucumber with hummus and roasted red pepper on top, pistachios,  and Ariana made her famous mango salsa because it is a must!

For the main course I made a beef stew!

Drinks fit the time period as well. Our friend Kristen brought stuff to make old fashions, we had red wine, whiskey, mint juleps and a champagne punch.

Dessert was easy. Jon's favorite cake! Funfetti cake and I added strawberries in the middle of the two cakes.

The hanging silver "chandelier" was from iParty, the props were from Paper and Pancakes, and all of the balloons, blower things, glasses, plates and beads were from Party City and I ordered them online. My dress was from Macy's and it was the perfect fit! My hair piece is from Brass Lotus. The champagne fountain I ordered through Amazon and it was the perfect touch! Just don't use anything extra fizzy or it won't work. I had to keep adding juice so it would flow.

We had the soundtrack to Boardwalk Empire Season 1 playing to set the mood.


It was such a blast! I truly recommend throwing this kind of party. The theme is perfect for turning 30! I'm keeping my dress for future Halloween costumes! Yeaaaah buddy.
Post a comment (0)

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hover Pin It Code

 
09 10