Life Lessons from Lynn

Monday, May 12, 2014

Happy Mother's Day ladies! Give your Mom, Mother-in-Law's and yourself a big hug! We all deserve it! Motherhood is the toughest job I have ever had. Ever. And I was the President once. You can choose to believe that or not.
But seriously, being a Mother is so challenging yet SO rewarding. The good certainly outweighs the bad. It has changed me for the better and I have grown so much (both mentally and physically haha). Whenever I think of my life before I was a parent, like way before, when we were little kids, I always remember how wonderful my Mom was. I am very lucky to have grown up in a great home. My Mom taught me so much, even though she may not realize it.

1.) Let your inner-weirdo shine. I'm weird. Like, straight up different from the others. I like to make faces and voices that sound like a mix between The Nanny and Roseanne. I do Ave Ventura impressions on the regular. I dance like I have no control of my limbs. And I have never felt ashamed of it. My Mom taught me to embrace the fact that I am not boring or like other kids. To not feel bad if I don't fit in (which I didn't for a long time). It really helped me and I am still this way to the day. I live to make others laugh. And you know what? People are weird right along with me. They say that I bring it out in them. I love that!
2.) Don't let tough days break you down. Let me tell you something, Jack is the best little dude ever, but like many other toddlers, he has his moments. Moments that have made me feel like I am a terrible Mother for getting upset, stressed, crying etc. I have had a few of those moments in front of my Mom and she has always told me to not get defeated. She has really been the one person I can vent to and never, ever feel judged. She has been in my position 438739863573893 times. She has four children and also had daycare kids WHILE we were kids. That is a whole lot of craziness. I would go nuts. But she had the strength to pull through those tough days and she has helped me when I felt like I was going to explode.
3.) There's no place like home. Like I said, my childhood was the shizzle. I have so many wonderful memories from Holidays, summers, school, etc., that I wish I could jump into a time machine and re-live them once again. My Mom made sure we were outside, playing, socializing and having fun. It was so important to her and she always had fun activities for us. I loved making jello hearts with her on Valentines Day and how she made our costumes for Halloween. You can tell she really loved being a Mom. I hope Jack feels this way about me when he is older.
4.) Finish what you started. When I started karate, I loved it at first then quickly grew to hate it. I think it has to do with the fact that during a tournament, a boy in front of me peed his pants...I didn't see and yup...you guessed it. I stepped ALLLLL up in that urine. It scarred me for life. Imagine doing Tae-Kwan-Doe in a puddle of pee. But rather than letting me quit, she made me go every time I had class. I am now a black belt and even though I haven't practiced since I became one, it still feels cool to say "I'm a black belt." I will absolutely do this with Jack. If he starts a sports or some after-school class, he needs to finish the whole thing before he decides if he wants to quit or not.
5.) Only give your opinion and advice when asked. My #1 pet peeve is people giving unwanted advice or an over-critical opinion about parenting skills/life/etc. If I want your opinion, I will ask. It made me feel self-conscious when other friends or family members would stick their nose in my business. With my Mom, she would only give advice or her opinion when I asked for it. I appreciate her so much for that and I try my best to do that with friends and family as well.

 So thank you, Mom. You have taught me so much more than these five things, but these stick with me the most. I hope I am half the Mom that you are! "I love you more, forever more."

Post a comment (0)

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hover Pin It Code

 
09 10