This post is sponsored by Great Grains
Here's my recipe:
4 tbsp cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
6 large egg yolks, room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
⅔ cup heavy cream
1½ cups whole milk
1 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp banana extract OR vanilla extract
2 large bananas (ripe but still firm)
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Graham cracker crust, prepared
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 -3 tbsp powdered sugar, depending on how sweet you want it
1 cup of Great Grains Banana Nut Crunch
Here's what to do
- Whisk together the corn starch, salt, egg yolks, and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the heavy cream, whole milk, and half a cup of sugar in a medium, heavy bottomed, saucepan.
- Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring almost continuously. Turn heat to low.
- Vigorously whisk about one cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and continue whisking for another 2 to 3 minutes until the custard thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter and extract until combined.
- Cut the bananas into one-quarter inch slices and toss with the lemon juice. Layer the banana slices over the bottom of the prepared crust. Add 1/2 cup of Great Grains Banana nut crunch over the banana layer.
- Spread the custard over the bananas and cereal layer and cover with plastic wrap. The plastic wrap needs to come in contact with the entire top of the custard so it doesn't form a skin. Just press on it gently.
- Refrigerate the pie for 3 to 4 hours.
- Whip the cream with the vanilla and powdered sugars until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream onto the pie and top with 1/2 Great Grains banana nut crunch and fresh banana slices if desired
Mmmmm mmmm mmm! Delicious and will definitely be making this again! My whipped cream peaks weren't very pretty on top, but hey, not bad for my first try! I hope you all had a great weekend and check back tomorrow for my Holiday gift guide week!